Top 7 Best Collars for German Shepherds Compared
|||Olivery Martingale Braided Collar and Leash|
|Blueberry Pet Classic Dog Collar|
|Mighty Paw Martingale-Style Collar|
|PetSafe Gentle Leader Headcollar|
|EXPAWLORER Best No-Pull Dog Harness|
|Mendota Slip Lead|
Have you ever walked your German Shepherd with a leash in one hand and a cup of Starbucks in the other hand? We bet you still haven’t found the best collar for German Shepherds if you haven’t. Your German Shepherd is no pompous Pomeranian. He may not know how powerful he is yet, but we are sure you are already aware of how strong his reflexes are, even as a puppy.
Now, if you allow your dog to continue to walk the way he wants and barks until he gets his way, you will become barking mad! Unless you become the “lead dog,” the scenery will never change! But with proper training and a good collar to boot, you can enjoy your walks and outings peacefully with your mighty canine buddy.
The Olivery Martingale Braided Collar and Leash highlight a dog-friendly design that adhered to the criteria used in canine search and rescue teams. It is handcrafted to perfection using eight braided nylon threads. Plus, it has a stainless steel extension, so your dog can twist and turn without any problem. The thick woven collar fits snugly around your dog’s neck like a chain choker, but it won’t cause him discomfort even when you need to tighten his leash. Meanwhile, the leash provides you maximum control over your German Shepherd without causing irritation to your hand.
- no-pull collar (no choking)
- matching collar and leash set
- stands up to the hardest tugs and pulls
- stainless steel extension provides your dog with 360-degree rotating action without entangling the leash
- gives you maximum control without causing you or your dog pain
- comes with a free 90-page eBook (The Ultimate Dog Training Guide)
- aggressive chewers can chew off the leash if left alone
- limited color options (only available in blue and red)
The Herm Sprenger Ultra-Plus Prong Dog Training Collar is here to prove that not all prong collars can hurt your dog! This high-quality prong collar from Germany is an invaluable tool when it comes to leash training. Its patented center plate produces a tolerable amount of pressure when your dog tries to pull away, which is enough to make your dog redirect his attention towards you. Plus, the tips are rounded off. Therefore, it safely and effectively corrects your dog’s incessant need to pull. Additionally, its fastener plate provides a more reliable connection. As you can see, this beautifully-made stainless steel collar is marked with the Herm Sprenger signature. The links themselves look amazing too! You also have the freedom to individually add or remove the links to get a custom fit.
- solid stainless steel with glossy chrome finish engraved with Herm Sprenger signature
- links have rounded tips for pain-free correction
- the center plate allows even pressure (similar to a gentle pinch)
- plate construction and symmetrical prong placement provides natural contact
- adjustable size (links can be added or removed individually)
- you need to take it off for sleeping
- finding the right fit may take a little while
This collar is inarguably small at ¾ inches, but it packs a lot of punch. Its clasp is super strong, and its adjuster won’t loosen over time. The fabric is lightweight but very sturdy. It won’t fray if you pull it apart or if you wash it countless times. Overall, it is really a super solid collar. So, make sure you have stashed away at least one Blueberry Pet Classic Dog Collar. With so many color options and a bandana to boot, you and your pet can go matchy-matchy on a fancy schmancy date!
- no fraying of fabric
- heavy-duty clasp and adjuster
- comes in multiple colors that are accurate to the listing photo
- has a very obvious “Blueberry” print
- too small for a full-grown German Shepherd
- can be used as a standard collar only
The material construction, from the weather-proof nylon to the iron chain to the rings of the Mighty Paw Martingale-Style Collar, is all very robust! Although its connector is plastic, it is heavy-duty and confidence-inspiring to boot. The quality of the collar as a whole is astonishing and significantly ahead of other collars within its price range! Additionally, this collar doubles as a training collar. It tightens under tension, producing firm and balanced pressure that is safe and humane enough for your beloved pet. It also has a quick-release feature, which is very important should your dog get hung up on something. Dog owners who love to walk, run, hike or jog as the sun goes down will be relieved to know that it has reflective stitching.
- materials used are top notch: weather-proof nylon, 100% iron chain, heavy-duty plastic, etc.
- functions as a standard collar and a training collar
- has a D-ring attachment
- lightweight, wide, and highly adjustable
- has quick-release feature and reflective ability
- premium-quality at a reasonable price
- need a few more options for some brighter colors
- dye used needs to be replaced (reviewers complained that it turns their dogs’ fur slightly grey)
If you have a bullheaded German Shepherd, despite the obvious constriction of a collar, then it is time to switch to the Gentle Leader Headcollar. It sits on your dog’s neck like a halter without applying pressure on the throat. Rather, the pressure is applied at the back of the neck. Because of the nose loop placement, your dog can quickly understand which direction you want him to go.We suggest that you watch and utilize the training guide that comes with this collar. It is also worth mentioning that the Gentle Leader Headcollar is a far cry from a muzzle. Unlike a real muzzle, your dog can use his mouth to feed, drink, play, etc.
- straps are made of heavy-duty nylon
- neck strap and nose loop can be adjusted individually
- doubles as a standard collar
- can be worn up to 18 hours per day
- safe to use on an eight-week-old puppy
- prevents choking and coughing; pressure is applied at the nape
- comes with a free comprehensive training DVD
- efficient but not the most attractive dog collar
- looks like a muzzle
This harness connects like a saddle and fits like one, too. Basically, it is a saddle, but for your dog. So, if your dog is as stubborn as a donkey, then you could never go wrong with the EXPAWLORER Best No-Pull Dog Harness! This model is perfect for large breeds with an exceptionally large chest and rib cage, like the German Shepherd. It easily slips under your dog’s armpit and snuggles comfortably. The straps won’t dig into your dog’s skin or cause chafing. Additionally, this harness has a padded jacketing made with a quick-drying material. Hence, your dog’s harness stays dry under a sun shower. It is also easy to spot clean. Rest assured, your canine sidekick won’t mind being buckled into it because it lacks the unnecessary frills.
- quality construction: wide straps, heavy-duty, metal D-ring attachment, and industrial-quality stitching
- padded jacketing made with quick-drying and easy-to-clean material
- reflective strip for increased visibility in dark areas
- comes with a back handle for added control
- multiple color options
- the material is not abrasion-resistant
Inspired by the British-style slip lead, this handmade product is highly effective in obedience and leash training. It is a nicer version of a collar minus the spikes! The lead itself is a polypropylene rope that is waterproof and machine-washable to boot. It measures half an inch in diameter and is absolutely soft on the hands.
- leash and collar in one convenient product
- handcrafted polypropylene rope
- comfortable to hold
- can be easily adjusted to fit any neck size
- waterproof and machine-washable
- lightweight and can be rolled up for storing
- keep an eye on chewers
- loosens tension quickly
- causes color bleeding when wet
Benefits of a Collar for Your German Shepherd
Who’s walking whom? You or Your German Shepherd?
Leash pulling is a common problem that extends to all breeds, life stages, and activity levels that leave dog owners in a stressful situation. But if you have a powerful canine like the German Shepherd, then your troubles go double! That is why you need to equip your mighty dog with a collar that allows you to control where his attention and focus go. Likewise, it is easy to reach the end of a leash attached to your dog’s collar if he suddenly runs after something.
A Dog Leash Harness Contributes to Your Dog’s Training
A good collar for a dog is equivalent to a new notebook for a pupil. It is a vital tool whether you train him on your own every day or when you enroll him in training classes. It helps control unwanted behaviors, aggression, and anxiety issues without causing your dog pain. Retractable Dog Leashes are also another option if you want flexibility in leash length. The collars can also help with guiding your German Shepherd to its crate.
Gives your German Shepherd Identification
Vital information such as ID tag, your phone number, health info, GPS locator, etc., can be attached to your dog’s collar. Whether your dog has escaped the garden or has been dueling squirrels in the neighboring village, you can rest assured that a good soul can deliver your best friend back to you.
What To Look For In A Collar For German Shepherds
German Shepherds are born with a unique head shape and a thick neck. If the collar does not fit perfectly, any GSD could easily slip out of it. So, how do you find the right size?
- With a measuring tape, measure the diameter of your dog’s neck that is halfway between the back of his head and the top of his shoulders.
- The collar should always rest on the middle of the nape since the top portion of the neck is where the spinal nerves are located. Placing the collar on the bottom-most part of the neck is also not an option, as it is too wide.
- Add at least one inch for allowance. You should be able to slip two fingers between the collar and your dog’s neck.
- Choose a collar that is at least one inch in width to prevent a robust dog from slipping free.
Type of Dog Collar
There are various types of collars. In order to find the best collars for your German Shepherd (GSD), you also need to take into account his current behavior. Does he consider you as the pack leader? Or does he incessantly pull towards every animal he sees? Look into the following types so you can make an informed decision.
- Professional trainers mostly use prong or pinch collars for temporary correction. When the lead is pulled, it tightens around the dog’s neck, getting his attention.
- Head collars, also known as halters, are attached around the head and behind the ears. These collars give your dog subtle correction by pulling at your dog’s muzzle.
- Harnesses were designed to provide working dogs with more pulling power. Although it means you will have less control over your robust German Shepherd, consider this option if your dog currently suffers from a respiratory or throat problem. You can see a list of the best dog harness reviewed by us.
Material of Harness, Leash, or Collar
Nylon is a durable material with water-resistant properties, making it ideal for virtually any location and season. Many brands offer a myriad of nylon collars with cute colors and patterns since nylon is versatile and inexpensive to boot. On the other hand, metals and chains are more suitable for large dogs with behavioral problems. These materials are the toughest of the bunch, so they don’t come cheap. Nevertheless, GSDs are not meant to wear these types of collars for extended periods of time. Lastly, we have the most expensive material, leather. Leather collars are preferred over any material as they are soft on the skin, look gorgeous, and their durability simply offsets their price! However, beware of fake and chemically treated leather as they often do more harm than good.
Heading out for a walk is an incredible way to bond with your dog and, at the same time, get some exercise and fresh air. But conventional collars can hurt your dog, particularly if you have a German Shepherd who pulls so hard. Your arm could feel like it would get pulled out of its socket while your hand would get red from gripping the leash. That is why we cannot recommend the Olivery Martingale Braided Collar and Leash highly enough! The set is complete with the features designed to eliminate the frustration of walking your German Shepherd. This collar and leash combo is the wedding of aesthetics and functionality. With it, you won’t feel like trying to walk a brick wall ever again! However, you can select any one of the perfect collars for German Shepherds to try out and see which one is right for your dog.