8 Best Dog Car Seats Compared
|Price on Amazon|
|Kurgo Car Pet Booster Seat for Dogs|
|Snoozer Luxury High Back Console Pet Car Seat|
|Snoozer Lookout Car Seat|
|K&H Pet Products Bucket Elevated Booster Pet Seat|
|Devoted Doggy Deluxe Dog Booster Car Seat|
We all love to take our dogs wherever we go, and that entails frequent car rides. However, most people don’t understand that their dogs should be properly restrained during a car ride, even a short one!
Driving an unrestrained dog of any size is a risk for a dog and everyone else who is in the vehicle. Luckily, with the best dog car seat, you can ensure that your pooch is safe, comfortable, and protected while on the road.
Generally, any type of restraint will work, but since most dogs don’t take lightly on driving in a crate, a dog booster seat is your best option. These seats are crash-tested and specially designed to give dogs a chance to look through the window, but at the same time remain safe in one place.
But with so many different models, finding the right dog car seat can be a bit difficult. Since your dog’s safety is important for us, we decided to list the top 8 best dog car seats available on the market and help you find the best one for you and your pooch.
The A4Pet Lookout Dog Booster Car Seat comes in two sizes – small and large- with the larger one being suitable for medium and large dogs. This car seat has a maximum bearing weight of 300 pounds and you can also use it to transport two puppies.
The dog booster car seat comes with a security leash, two seat belt loops, and a sling to make it snug and secure on your back seat. Thanks to its elevated design, this model will give your dog a chance to watch through the window and have a fun ride.
The great thing is that you can fold and store this dog booster whenever it’s not in use. The double-sided material is washable and designed to keep your dog warm during the winter and cool in the summer.
- Sturdy and secure
- Large enough for two smaller dogs
- Easy to fold and store
- Elevated Design
- Too high for tall dogs to sit comfortably
The PupSaver Crash Tested Car Safety Seat is designed for small dogs who weigh up to 30 pounds. This rear-facing model is crash tested and will catch your dog upon impact and act as a protective barrier.
The PupSaver is a flexible model that fits in most cars and can be used in the front or back seat. Made from soft ballistic nylon and poly-filled bottom, this car seat is durable and at the same time comfortable.
To keep your pooch firmly in place, this seat has five seat belt-grade plastic clips, heavy-duty metal hooks, and an all-metal attachment system. The only issue with this seat is that the back may start to fold over time, preventing your dog from entering the seat normally.
- Rear-facing design for extra security
- Comfortable for longer rides
- Keeps dogs safe and in place
- Can be hard to buckle in the car seat
The PetSafe Solvit Jumbo Pet Safety Seat for Dogs is designed for dogs weighing 35 pounds and under. Thanks to its elevated design, your pooch will be able to sit 9 inches above the seat and have a clear view of the road.
The generously padded interior is comfortable to sit in, and a great option for longer road trips. The seat’s rigid internal structure integrates with a car seat belt for extra security and the safety tether is super durable and strong.
And if your pooch makes a mess in his seat, just remove the linen, wash it, and you are ready to go. The only downside of this model is that the cushion isn’t generously padded and may not be comfortable.
- The elevated design offers a better view
- Spacious for smaller dogs to sit and lie
- Hard sides offer protection
- The strap is secure and well-made
- Hard to put together
- Flimsy padding
The Kurgo Car Pet Booster Seat for Dogs is designed for dogs up to 30 pounds but it is best used for pooches weighing up to 20 pounds. This is a front car seat model, but you can opt for a rear seat version if more convenient for you and your dog.
This dog car seat features metal support for structural integrity and waterproof interior so you can rest assured that your car will stay clean no matter what your dog does inside his seat. The adjustable dog seat belt tether easily attaches to any dog harness and will keep your pooch secure and in place.
You will be pleased to know that this product comes with a lifelong warranty, which is a true testament to its durability and performance.
- Stable and secure
- Spacious interior
- Allows dogs to watch through the window
- Comfortable for longer trips
- The tether can twist and poses a choking hazard
The Snoozer Luxury High Back Console Pet Car Seat comes in large and X-large size and five different colors. This model is designed to fit onto your console and allows your dog to enjoy the ride upfront even if you have a passenger on your front seat.
This dog car seat features a luxurious removable micro suede cover, which is safe to wash. The durable foam form and inner pad ensure that your dog stays comfortable and enjoys every ride.
To ensure that your pooch stays in one place, this seat secures to the seat base and the console lid, and there is a safety strap that keeps dogs inside their seats. The only downside of this model is that it doesn’t fit in all cars, so double-check the measurements to ensure that this seat is the right fit.
- Super soft and washable cover
- Durable and comfortable padding
- Raised back for extra protection and comfort
- Several straps for a snug and secure fit
- Doesn’t fit in all cars
The Snoozer Lookout Car Seat comes in small and medium-size with the latter being safe for pets weighing up to 25 pounds. This model comes in seven different colors and features a removable and washable cover.
This dog car seat features a comfortable foam form and Sherpa lining that will keep your dog warm during winter and cool in the summer. The connection strap is included so you can attach the seat belt to the harness.
The raised design allows your dog to look out through the window and is a great option if your pooch suffers from anxiety or car sickness. However, a few customers noted that the raised design isn’t really safe and that their dogs won’t stay put in the seat.
- Comfortable Sherpa lining
- Raised design for a better view
- Washable cover
- Padded interior
- Bulky and takes too much room
The K&H Pet Product Bucket Booster Pet Seat comes in two sizes, small and large, and three different colors. This model features a durable denier exterior and a plush fleece interior for your dog’s comfort.
Designed to fit into the front or back seat of your car, the Bucket Booster has a contoured back that provides extra safety and stability. This model comes with two security lashes that can be attached to your dog’s harness and a security buckles for a seat belt.
- Spacious and comfortable interior
- Safety latches keep dogs in place
- Countered back for extra safety
- Thick cushion for protection
- Doesn’t fit in all cars
- The inside of the seat can’t be cleaned
The Devoted Doggy Deluxe Dog Booster Car Seat is a great option for a small dog who weigh up to 15 pounds. This booster model is designed to give your dog an ultimate riding experience and will give him a chance to look out through the window.
Featuring a collapsible metal frame, this dog car seat is made to last! It also features a removable soft plush liner which is machine washable.
This model comes with two adjustable straps so you can attach it to your car’s seat and an adjustable leash inside the doggy seat which you can clip to your dog’s harness or collar to keep him securely in place.
Keep in mind that this dog car seat may not work for your car, so double-check the measurements to get it right the first time.
- Gives dogs a better view
- Durable metal frame
- The lining is easy to clean
- Adjustable straps allow you to raise the seat
- Doesn’t fit in all cars
- Some dogs may jump out of it
What to Look for in a Good Dog Car Seat?
When it comes to buying a dog car seat for your pooch you may be tempted to get the most luxurious model that matches your car’s stylish interior. However, the safety of your dog should always be your number one priority!
Look for the following features to ensure your dog’s safety during car rides:
- Size: Make sure that the seat is spacious enough to support your dog’s length and weight. Since most dog car seats state the maximum weight they can handle, measure your dog before buying a seat.
- Ease of use: There are many different kinds of booster seats and you will have to look for one that is suitable to use in your car and also safe for your dog. If your pooch goes on frequent car trips check the seat and see how hard it is to install and remove it, and if it stores easily.
- Maintenance: Most dogs know how to get dirty in a matter of seconds. Thus, you should look for a dog car seat that is made from a material that is easy to clean or, ideally, machine washable.
- Protection: The point of a pet car seat is to keep your pooch protected in the event of a crash, thus the booster has to have sufficient padding. Most seats use thick foam to absorb the shock from accidents and you should pick a model that has at least two inches of padding.
Benefits of Using a Pet Dog Car Seat
Besides the obvious, keeping your dog safe during a car ride, using a booster seat has several other benefits. Let’s take a look at a few:
- A dog car seat keeps a dog secure, and if an accident happens your pooch will stay safe and in place
- Booster car seats keep dogs more comfortable during a cat ride
- Having your dog in a car seat can help combat motion sickness
- Dog cars seats give smaller dogs a chance to look through the window and have a more enjoyable ride
- When confined in a dog seat, your dog won’t be able to make a mess and leave dirt all over your car
Most dogs love to go on car rides, and will eagerly wait to jump on the front seat even for a short ride around the block. And while most people understand the importance of seat belts and kid’s car seats, many dog owners don’t know that dogs should be properly restrained during a car ride.
But just like you put the seat belt on every time you go for a ride, your pooch has to be buckled properly for safety reasons. And since there are so many different models of dog car seats on the market, finding the one that fits in your car and keeps your dog properly secure can be difficult.
Luckily, the A4Pet Lookout Dog Booster Car Seat is there to save the day and keep your dog comfortable and secure during a car ride. This car seat is a clear winner since it comes in two sizes, two seat belt loops, and a security leash for a secure and comfortable ride.
Its elevated design will give your pooch a chance to look out through the window, and it is completely foldable and easy to store. Invest in a dog car seat today to have safe and care-free rides right away!