Top 8 Best Dog Crate Beds and Pads
Price on Amazon
|P.L.A.Y. Pet Lifestyle and You Crate Pad|
|MidWest Deluxe Micro Terry Bed|
|Kuranda Dog Crate Bed|
|Paws & Pals Pet Beds for Dogs|
|Brindle Soft Shredded Memory Foam Dog Bed|
|Reversible Paw Print Pet Bed|
Crates are a popular training tool, can be used for travel, and offer your dog a secure place to rest when you aren’t at home. While some people still reject the idea of keeping their dogs in a “cage”, the fact is, dogs feel safe in crates and see them as cozy dens.
The biggest issue with crates is that they are usually made of hard plastic or metal, which isn’t really comfortable to lie on. Just imagine spending a significant part of your day, lying on metal bars. It sounds like real torture! That’s why it is extremely important that you find a comfortable crate bed for your dog.
When it comes to crate pads, there is a lot of options to choose from, but some simply aren’t good enough to provide your dog with the support he needs. Only the best crate beds & pads can provide the much-needed support, relieve joint pain, and keep your dog comfortable each and every day.
To help you find the right dog crate bed for your pooch we decided to review eight great options. Read on to find the crate bed that works for you and your dog!
[tcb-script async=”” src=”//z-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/onejs?MarketPlace=US&adInstanceId=68238770-7d09-4301-971a-90b243a21636″][/tcb-script]
8 Dog Crate Pads Reviewed
The Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Crate Pad is a four inch thick crate mat and is made from high-quality foam. Designed to fit perfectly into standard dog crates, this pad is a great option if your pooch needs extra support.
The highest quality orthopedic foam won’t flatten over time and will comfort aching joints and prevent your dog from lying on the crate’s hard plastic or metal wires. This particular pad is designed for large dogs, but it is also available in several other sizes.
The Big Barker Crate Pad’s cover is machine washable and made of waterproof and tear resistant material. Which makes it highly suitable for older incontinent dogs, or pooches who like to dig in their crates.
The thick and comfortable orthopedic pad is a real lifesaver for dogs who suffer from arthritis or are recovering from surgery since it allows them to rest properly. However, it won’t last long if your pooch is an aggressive chewer, so you may need to look for an indestructible crate pad.
- Thick orthopedic foam
- Machine washable cover
- Fits into all standard crates
- The cover is waterproof
- Not for aggressive chewers
The K&H Pet Products Crate Pad for Pets is a good option if you are on a tight budget but want to make your dog’s crate more comfortable. This pad comes in a variety of different sizes and you can pick between self-warming, odor control, or memory foam options.
This self-warming pad is designed in a way to radiate the heat back to your dog, which makes it perfect for aching joints or chilly evenings. The mat has a soft microfleece top which will increase your dog’s comfort, and a non-slip bottom will ensure that the mat stays in one place.
The fact that the entire mat is machine washable and that it has corner slits that allow for a perfect fit in any crate, are the features most dog parents rave about. But keep in mind that this mat is super thin, so it might not offer appropriate support to older dogs.
- Provides comfort and warmth
- Completely machine washable
- Comes in various sizes
- Corner slips make it fit into all standard crates
- The padding is too thin
The P.L.A.Y. Pet Lifestyle and You extra-large crate pad is lightweight and portable, which makes it a great option if you have to move your dog’s crate often. This mat comes in all sizes and six different colors that will make your pup’s crate look great.
Unlike other dog crate pads, this mat is stuffed with an eco-friendly high-loft planet fill, which is made from recyclable bottles. This type of fill offers moderate support for your dog and works best for young and healthy dogs.
While this pad lacks the proper cushioning, its plush velour-like cover will make your dog feel super cozy. The downside of this pad is that although completely washable the filling tends to become lumpy after a few trips into the washer.
- Eco-friendly filling
- Lightweight and portable
- Comes in different sizes and colors
- Plush cover for extra comfort
- Machine washable
- Maybe too thin for some dogs
- The filling becomes lumpy if washed frequently
The MidWest Deluxe Micro Terry Bed features a versatile design and can be used as a stand-alone dog bed or as a comfy crate pad. This particular pad fits into 24-inch metal dog crates and is suitable for dogs weighing 11-25 pounds.
The moderately cushioned poly/cotton base will provide support and keep your dog’s crate comfortable. Besides being extremely plush and cozy for a dog to lie on, the mat’s exterior will also keep your pooch warm during the winter and cool during the summer.
The mat’s luxurious design is easy to maintain since it is completely machine washable and dryer safe. And while the padding may not look like much, it is sufficient to relieve aching joints. The only downside is that this pad isn’t durable and that it will be shredded to pieces if your dog likes to chew.
- Can be used as a pad or stand-alone bed
- Machine washable and dryer safe
- Comes in all sizes
- Fits into standard crates
- Not durable
- Not for aggressive chewers
The Kuranda Dog Crate Bed features a cot-like raised orthopedic design and can be used indoors or outdoors. It is specifically designed for dogs who like to chew and dig, but it is also a great option for well-behaved pooches.
This raised crate bed features a high strength PVC frame and lower legs to ensure that your pooch has enough space to stay comfortable in his crate. The Ballistic Nylon is abrasion resistant and durable, and thanks to its smooth finish, it won’t catch dog hair and grime.
While this cot-style bed may not look comfortable, it offers the same benefits as orthopedic dog beds. This heavy-duty crate bed is specially designed for aggressive chewers and may be a lifesaver if your pooch already shredded several mat-style beds. It is also available in several different sizes and comes with a 1-year limited warranty.
- The extra strong PVC frame
- Abrasion-resistant Ballistic Nylon
- Great for aggressive chewers
- Comfortable as an orthopedic dog bed
- Has to be assembled
The Paws & Pals Pet Beds for Dogs feature a newspaper design and will definitely make your dog’s crate more fashionable. However, you can also use it as a stand-alone bed and take it with you on travel trips.
This dog bed has a high-density foam and polyester fill as a base, but it also comes with a padded bumper rim. The base is cushioned enough to provide proper support and alleviates tension from pressure points, and the rim can serve as a neck pillow.
The mix of ultra-soft fleece and plush fur covering offers ultimate comfort and keeps your dog’s body temperature regulated. Which means that your dog will stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
This bed is suitable for large dogs, but it also comes in other sizes, so you won’t have troubles finding the perfect fit for your pooch and his crate. On the downside, this bed isn’t sturdy enough to withstand scratching and chewing, so you might need to consider a different model if your pooch has destructive tendencies.
- Can be used in a crate or as a stand-alone bed
- High-density foam offers orthopedic support
- The rim serves as a neck pillow
- Comes in several sizes
- Not chewproof
The Brindle Soft Shredded Memory Foam Dog Bed has a mat-like design and it’s a great option to use in crates if you want to increase your dog’s comfort. This bed is available in several sizes, and all of them are compatible with standard crates.
Featuring a 3-inch layer of shredded memory foam fill, this bed relieves pressure pains and comforts dogs with arthritis, joint pain, or hip dysplasia. It also comes with a removable cover that can be machine washed and dried. Bear in mind that the pad itself isn’t washable and probably not the best option for dogs with poor bladder control.
This bed is soft and yet supportive which is the perfect balance for older dogs with aching joints and movability issues. However, you might need to look for another pad if your pooch likes to dig and chew since this model isn’t made to withstand doggy abuse.
- Memory foam filling
- Fits into standard dog crates
- The cover is machine washable and drier safe
- Relieves joint aches and pains
- It isn’t waterproof
- Doesn’t have a slip mat
The Reversible Paw Print Pet Bed is a mat-style crate bed that creates a cozy den environment and makes a crate more appealing to your dog. It comes with a cute blue & paw print top and white bottom which you can reverse according to your liking.
The mat is filled with a polyfill fiber and is completely machine washable and dryer safe. Although it isn’t overly stuffed and fluffy, it is supportive enough for younger and healthy dogs.
Due to its mat design and different sizes, this dog bed fits into nearly every crate. It is also lightweight and easy to carry, thus you can take it with you on trips and vacations.
The great thing about this pad is that it is easy to wipe clean, so you don’t have to wash it frequently. As most other crate pads for dogs, this one also isn’t recommended for excessive chewers since it is easily torn to shreds.
- Lightweight and portable
- The plush fabric is very comfortable
- Completely washable
- Fits in nearly all crates
- The mat is very thin
- It tears easily
What to Look for in a Crate Pad?
Choosing a dog crate pad may be a bit easier than shopping for an actual dog bed, but there are certain features you need to consider. Here are a few things to look for:
- Support & Thickness: Although a crate pad is less likely to provide the same support as an orthopedic dog bed, you will notice that the thickness varies a lot from one model to the next. Mats that are only an inch thick can work for younger or healthy dogs, that spend little time in a crate. On the other hand, an older dog with arthritis will appreciate having a padded memory foam mat which will offer proper support.
- Washable: All dog beds are bound to get dirty at some point so it is important to find the one that is easy to clean. Thinner pads can be machine washed, while the beds with foam filling usually only have a washable cover.
- Durability: If your dog likes to chew or dig you need to find a pad that will withstand constant abuse. While indestructible crate pads are rare, you should definitely look for a tear-resistant cover of heavy-duty materials.
- Size: Finding the right size crate pad is of utmost importance. Too small and your dog won’t be able to use the entire crate, too big and the sides will crease and tempt your dog to tear them up.
- Padding Type: Different dog crate pads come with various types of padding. Depending on the type of padding, each mat has different features. Memory foam, for example, offers orthopedic support to dogs with joint issues. But if your dog doesn’t have mobility problems you can easily settle for shredded foam or cotton filling.
Benefits of Using a Crate Bed
Naturally, you don’t want for your dog to feel uncomfortable in his crate, and that is probably the main reason why you decided to research crate pads. Besides providing support crate mats come with a few other benefits:
- Portable: Since most dog crate pads are designed to be lightweight you can easily pack one when you are traveling with your pooch. This way, he can stay comfortable during the ride and have a nice place to sleep when you arrive.
- Relieves Pressure Pains: Spending a couple of hours every day laying on hard plastic or metal wires is bound to make your pooch sore and uncomfortable. A mat will offer proper support and keep your dog’s weight distributed evenly to relieve pressure pains.
- Cooling & Warming Effect: Most crate mats are designed in a way to regulate your dog’s temperature during the whole year. Meaning, it will keep your pooch cool during the summer, and warm him during the winter for ultimate comfort regardless of the season. We wrote a guide on the best cooling dog mats that you can purchase during those hot days.
Finding the best dog crate mat will largely depend on your dog’s age, activity level, and any health problems. Older dogs will appreciate having an orthopedic dog crate mat that will offer proper support and alleviate aches and pains. While young and healthy dogs will also enjoy all the comforts memory foam brings, generally they will be no worse for wear sleeping on the cotton filling for example.
And while that might be the case, the Orthopedic Dog Crate Pad by Big Barker is by far the best crate pad when it comes to comfort and price. It is made of high-quality foam and it fits into all standard dog crates. It also comes with a waterproof and tear-resistant cover which is machine washable and ideal for dogs who like to dig or scratch, and older pooches with bladder control issues.
Obviously, you don’t want to leave your dog in a bare crate while you are off working long hours. Since most crate beds are affordable, there is no reason why your pooch shouldn’t have one. And now that you know what the best dog crate beds & pads are you all set to buy one.
[tcb-script async=”” src=”//z-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/onejs?MarketPlace=US&adInstanceId=0c09f7ee-7aa1-436d-98fd-d6313db7c81e”][/tcb-script]