Top 7 Best Dog Grooming Shears
There’s an abundance of reasons that you may need to cut your dog’s hair by yourself. Perhaps they have a nasty tangle that needs to be out immediately, and you’re unable to get them to a professional groomer. Or, if you rescue dogs, you may find that they often have severely matted fur. If you have multiple dogs with this issue, you may be unable to get them all into the groomer. Grooming your dogs yourself can save you money and keep your dog looking good till their next cut. Whatever your reason is, when you’re cutting your dog’s hair, it’s important to make sure you have the right tools for the job.
However, picking the right grooming scissors for your dog’s fur can be difficult. Regular household scissors won’t work well and can actually cause your dog pain due to tugging and the occasional accidental slip of the hand due to a bad knot. Purchasing clippers that are designed for fur is important. If you’re buying electric shears and not just scissors, then it’s also important to make sure that you have purchased the correct blade for your dog’s fur type. There are a lot of different types of shears and dog clippers on the market, though, and if you’re not experienced with buying them, it can be difficult. Here are some of the best dog grooming shears to make the process easier.
1. Sharf Gold Touch Pet Scissors, 7.5 Inch Straight Shears
These 7.5-inch stainless scissors are simple but efficient. They’re designed to remain sharp longer, and when they do become dull, they are easy to sharpen back to professional standards, allowing you to give your dog a clean, painless trim free of snagging or tearing. The Sharf dog scissors also come with a snapping carrying case that keeps them put away – a plus if you have small children – and in their best condition.
- The extended length of 7.5 inches gives you more control and allows you to cut a variety of hair types.
- Stainless steel blades are resistant to rust.
- Carrying case prevents any accidents or damage to the shears
- Aesthetic design
- Comfort grips that are easy on hands
- Sharpness lasts longer and is easier to achieve
- Lightweight and easy to use for longer periods of time
- Pricier than other options
- Can be stiff for the first few uses
2. Kenchii Scorpion 8″ Straight Pro Dog Grooming Shear
These 8-inch scissors are popular among both professional and home pet groomers. Made of stainless steel, the Kenchii Scorpion dog grooming shears are durable and resistant to corrosion and rust, making them great for trimming before or after a bath. The blade stays sharp for an extended amount of time and is easy to sharpen when necessary. If you order these and find that they are not what you wanted, they also come with a lifetime warranty to feel confident in your purchase.
- Extended length of 8 inches makes these scissors easier to use and especially effective on thick, bulky fur
- Stainless steel is durable and sharp
- Resistant to rust
- Professional style but easy for beginner groomers and pet owners to use
- Lifetime warranty if any issues such as the scissors breaking or dullness occur while using
- No comfort grip
- No protective carrying case or covering
3. Geib Stainless Steel Small Pet Gator 40-Tooth Blending Shears, 6-1/2-Inch
These aren’t just regular grooming scissors. The Geib Gator Shears features a 40-tooth comb that allows you to blend while cutting your dog’s fur, producing a professional appearance. They are 6.5 inches long, and while they don’t have comfort grips, they are designed to make them comfortable and easy to hold. A double screw produces smooth shearing, making regular haircuts pain-free and relaxing for both you and your dog by preventing snagging and reducing discomfort. They are also made out of stainless steel, so you don’t have to worry about rust or irreparable dullness.
- 6.5 inches that allow you to sculpt and easily cut your dog’s hair no matter the thickness
- Made of stainless steel that is both durable and easy to maintain
- Handles designed to fit your hand
- Double screw for smooth shearing
- 40 tooth comb for blending
- Blending teeth can create more of a thinning effect in dogs with fine fur
- Not as effective on severely matted fur
4. LILYS PET Professional PET Dog Grooming Coated Titanium Scissors Suit Cutting&Curved&Thinning Shears
This kit comes with four different types of scissors – straight scissors, thinning scissors, upcurved scissors, and down curved scissors – as well as a comb, a wipe to clean your scissors, and a convenient carrying case. Its titanium-coated stainless steel blades can be purchased in a variety of colors, including purple, black, blue, and even rainbow. While they are made to be durable, the LILYS PET professional kit also comes with instructions so that you can make sure your tools last as long as possible. It also comes with interior rubber rings for your added comfort that make gripping the scissors for extended periods of time easier.
- Comes with four types of scissors, a comb, and a carrying case
- Made of durable stainless steel
- Aesthetic design
- Grip designed to reduce discomfort
Titanium coat for added durability
- While they remain sharp for an extended period of time, they sometimes require oiling for a smooth glide
5. ALFHEIM Professional Pet Hair Grooming Scissors Thinning Shear & Straight-Edge Shear
This four-piece kit has all of the equipment that you will need to groom and trim your dog’s fur properly. The Japanese stainless steel blades are durable and easy to clean and sharpen, and each pair of scissors features a removable rubber grip to provide you with comfort while you groom your dog’s fur. They come with a black carrying case, so all of your scissors and the comb that comes with the set are all together in one convenient location.
- Multiple scissors and accessories, including a comb and carrying case
- Stainless steel blades that are durable and resistant to rust
- Blades are easy to maintain
- Designed for knotted or coarse fur such as with poodles or matted hair
- Professional quality
- Thinner scissors occasionally snag fur
- Screw will need occasional adjustment to stay secure
- Blades dull easily but are easy to sharpen whenever needed
6. RUBOLD Professional Dog Grooming Scissors Set
The RUBOLD scissors set comes in two different options. You can either order one pair of scissors and a comb or three pairs of scissors and a comb. No matter which package you purchase, these scissors feature a unique Tension Control System that allows you to adjust your scissors with other tools like a screwdriver. This means that you can easily change the tightness of the blades to cut either thin or thick, soft or coarse hair, without spending an abundance of time finding tools and adjusting the screw. These scissors are good for either home or professional use, and they are designed to trim even the difficult fur of your pet’s paws. They are made of stainless steel that is durable and pre-sharpened.
- Multiple purchasing options
- Unique Tension Control System
- Crafted from durable, sharp stainless steel
- 10-year satisfaction guarantee
- Scissors dull quickly and will need to be sharpened every few uses
7. Purple Dragon 8.0 inch Professional Pet Grooming Scissors Dog Chunker Shears
With a sleek, minimalist design and quality craftsmanship, all at an inexpensive price, these scissors, while designed for either home or professional use, are great for beginners. However, one thing to note is that these scissors feature the teeth of a pair of thinning scissors. These Purple Dragon scissors are chunker shears, which means that they are designed to trim and cut large amounts of hair at once. These are used to cut your dog’s fur to an approximate length, and then you use thinners to get the exact length that you are going for. They are made of stainless steel and designed ergonomically to reduce discomfort and fatigue.
- Designed to reduce discomfort and fatigue for longer sessions
- Constructed of durable, rust-resistant stainless steel
- Handmade with careful attention to details
- Good for either professional or home grooming
- Not designed for left-hand use
- Difficult to adjust the tightness
Trimming Your Dog’s Hair by Yourself with Grooming Shears
How to Trim Your Dog’s Hair
Trimming your dog’s hair can be a great bonding experience that will save you both time and money. While it may seem daunting at first, a simple trim is actually a very easy task. Before you start, it’s important to make sure that your dog is calm. As they begin getting nervous, it can cause either you or your pet to be harmed. You can use natural dog calming medications to keep your pet calm. Once your dog is secure, trimming is simple. If you’re not going for a particular look, simply trim away the excess fur until it is all at a uniform length. Take extra care around sensitive or oddly shaped areas such as the face, ears, legs, tail, and paws.
Benefits of Do It Yourself Pet Grooming
There are a lot of benefits to cutting your dog’s hair by yourself. First, it can be much more convenient than going to a dog groomer. In today’s busy world, finding the time to schedule an appointment and get your dog there can be difficult, especially if your only free time is in the evenings when most groomers are closed. It’s also cheaper to do it by yourself. While shears may seem pricy, they are really an investment when you compare them to how much going to the groomer will cost you. Eventually, the shears you choose will pay for themselves, especially if you often find your dog needing a haircut or trim. Finally, if you have multiple dogs, it can make more sense to do it yourself. This is especially true if you foster rescues whose fur may be in poor health. Scheduling multiple appointments for multiple dogs can be difficult, confusing, and expensive.
By cutting your dog’s fur by yourself, you will save time and money while bonding with your pet.
What to Look for in Pet Grooming Shears / Scissors
Even with a list of reviews, you may want additional information on choosing the absolute best grooming shears for your dog. First, when looking for shears, it’s important to take time to really view the blades. They need to be sharp enough that you don’t have to worry about tearing or snagging. They’ll also need to be made out of a durable, easy-to-clean material such as stainless steel. Since grooming can be an extremely long process for your own comfort, depending on your dog’s fur type, you’ll want lightweight shears with a comfortable grip. Using a grooming table can also aid in helping keep your dog safe and calm when you are cutting your dog. You can also use grooming clippers to help you speed up the grooming process.
It is becoming more and more popular for pet owners to trim their animals’ fur by themselves, which has led to an increase of shears and clippers on the markets. This can make choosing the best shears for you and your dog difficult. However, when choosing which shears to purchase, it’s important to remember what makes a good set of shears. They should be sharp enough to cut your dog’s fur without snagging or tearing the fur, which can hurt your dog, and they should be easy for you to hold in use. When it comes to materials, stainless steel is the best option, as it is durable and easy to clean and sharpen.
The Sharf Gold Touch Dog Scissors go above and beyond when considering these factors. Not only do they come with comfort grips to make sure that the grooming experience is enjoyable and pain-free for both you and your dog, but they also come with a carrying case that will help the shears to last longer and keep any children in your household safe. They’re a bit pricier than some of the other options, but with the abundance of benefits, the price is definitely an investment that reflects the quality of the shears.